Ancient Sites


The Throne Hall was constructed in1768, at the same time that Thon Buri was established as the capital. It is a Thai style structure comprising two adjacent buildings in the shape of a" T". To the north is an open pavilion, called the Throne Hall, which was used by the King to hold court.The southern section was the King's personal quarters. The Royal Thai Navy uses the Throne Hall for important ceremonies, and the southern building is used as a reception area.


Wichaiprasit Fort was formerly called Wichayen Fort and was built during the reign of King Narai the Great to protect the important port of Bangkok. Another fort was built on the east bank of the river at the same time. When King Taksin the Great established Thon Buri as his capital, Thon Buri palace was built in the compound of Wichayen Fort and the fort nearby was renovated and renamed "Wichaiprasit Fort". At present, the Royal Thai Navy uses the fort for cannon firing at important ceremonies.The flags of the Commander-in-Chief and the Royal Thai Navy fly from the flag pole installed there.


The smaller of the two structures was constructed in the beginning of the Rattanakosin Era, when King Rama ll was still Prince Khrom Luang Isara Sunthorn and lived in Phra Racha Wang Derm.The smaller building's style is Chinese. At present, it is used to house a collection of traditional Thai weapons as well as information on King Taksin's battle achievements. The larger building is believed to have been constructed when King Pinklao was Prince Issares Rangsan and resided in Phra Racha Wang Derm during 1824-1851.The style is a mix of Thai and Chinese. At present, the building houses an exhibit of the social, economic and cultural activities of King Taksin the Great as well as a collection of antiques and paintings.


This building was the official residence of King Pinklao from 1824-1851, before he received the royal titles of Khrom Phra Racha Wang Baworn Sathan Mongkol, the second King of Siam, and moved to live in Front Palace at the beginning of King Rama IV's reign.The building is considered to be the first western style structure with an American influence that was used as the royal family resdidence. At present, the upper floor is used to exhibit the life and work of King Pinklao and contains a reference library of the Thon Buri period as well as information concerning Phra Racha Wang Derm. The lower houses an exhibit of the antique ceramic wares and old Thai currencies and coins.


The present shrine was built when Prince Khrom Phra Chakrapadibhongse, the last occupant, lived in Phra Racha Wang Derm from 1881-1900. It is located north of the Chinese buildings and west of the palace wall. The architecture is a mix of western and Thai styles. Inside is a statue of King Taksin the Great holding his sword.


The recent shrine is a building constructed in 1999 on the base of the old shrine and is used to house the relics of the whale bones found below King Taksin's shrine during present restorations.The former shrine is believed to have been built during early Rattanakosin Period and fell to ruin on 11 April 1900, the night Prince Chakrapadibhongse died. Historical research shows that the shrine was a Chinese Pavillion.The present structure is designed to reflect the style of the period and to blend with surrounding buildings.


In the past, this was the infirmary of the Naval Academy. Built around 1900-1906, the building was originally a single storey wooden structure on a man-made hill constructed at the beginning of King Rama V's reign when Prince Khrom Phra Chakrapadibhongse resided in Phra Racha Wang Derm. The building is presently under the care of the Naval Communications Department and is used as a meeting room.

Map of Ancient Sites
The Phra Racha Wang Derm Restoration Foundation
Copyright @ 2013